Monday, July 29, 2013

Grammatophyllum scriptum var. kiilani

I bought a Grammatophyllum scriptum var kiilani, a cute little miniature Grammatophyllum orchid, from someone on one of the forums I frequent. She sent it in spike, potted in semi-hydroponics. I had wanted to try and grow some orchids semi-hydroponically for a while, just to try it, but was never motivated enough to bother. So I just left this orchid potted as is, and went with it. It opened up two flowers from the spike it was sent with, so I won't claim any credit for these flowers.



The flowers have been open for 3 weeks now, and no signs of wear yet. It came with a few older looking pseudobulbs, but is happpily growing another, with another flower spike... I think I'll let the nice weather and the fact that a Grammatophyllum seems to be a perfect fit for the S/H (semi-hydroponic) growing style take credit for this. I have no idea what I'm doing, but it seems like my first try with S/H is going well so far. May switch some other orchids over here soon.



7 comments:

  1. Que bela flor.

    boa semana


    http://eueminhasplantinhas.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What delight Melody, beautiful flowers and wonderful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flower looks alike the usual tiger orchid but in far smaller pseudobulbs. Where do I could find one ?, I want one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure, they are not as common as they should be! I see them pop up on ebay every so often here, maybe take a look there if none of your local orchid retailer carry them?

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous flowers! Love the animal print. Leopard or turtle shell?

    ReplyDelete