Saturday, January 3, 2015

Terrarium Back in Action with Some New Nepenthes!

I finally was able to get my terrarium out of storage and set up again. As much of a pain it is to move (excruciatingly heavy,) I'm so happy to have it back. It's been in storage for 2 years now, so I did unfortunately have to purchase a new glass top, and new set of lights for it. I ended up taking a chance on the AquaticLife T5 HO 48" 4 Lamp Fixture w/ Lunar Lights and an Aquatic Life 48" T5 HO Dual Lamp Fixture. I split the lamps up into 2 separate fixtures for easy access into the tank. I did NOT want to get a 6 or 8 lamp and have to take the whole thing off every time I needed to get in there. I already have to use a step stool to get up in there in the first place just to water as the only opening is down through the top. Big thanks to MarineandReef.com for swapping out the actinic bulbs these fixtures would normally come with for some 10,000 and 6,500 K bulbs that I could use.

The Lunar Lights are pretty neat!

Terrarium with AquaticLife Lunar Lights on

I'm clearly still working on setting it up, so I'll make an update about it in the future when it's "fisnished." So onto the some of the new plants inside...

This was my order from Native Exotics. Left to right, N. ampullaria "Bau Green", N. bicalcarata "Orange Blush", and N. sumatrana (variegated), just unboxed.


Nepenthes bicalcarata Orange Blush. Forgot to take some photos before I put it in the tank. It did come with that little basal growth point, thrilled about that. I wonder how the pitchers will end up looking as it came in a little on the green side, and there are no pictures on the internet of mature pitchers of this particular clone. The color temp of  the lights I bought should bring out the best in it, so we'll see. Either way, it's a bical I didn't have before.

N. bicalcarata Orange Blush
Nepenthes sumatrana was variegated. It's reverted back to normal, and I had fair warning about that, but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway. Sometimes lighting can have something to do with level of variegation, sometimes it's a mutation plants grow out of. More than likely it will be normal the rest of it's life. Don't care, love sumatrana, and if there's variegation somewhere it in genes it's not a bad plant to have.

Nepenthes smatrana variegated (not variegated)


Nepenthes ampullaria Bau Green. A nice all green ampullaria. I hope it likes to make basals. As much as I miss the amps I lost, neither of the other clones I grew seemed to be particularly fond of making them.

N. ampullaria Bau Green


I've got a whole bunch of new Nepenthes, and a terrarium to finish setting up, so I'll take some more photos here shortly.

9 comments:

  1. Keep us updated on that N. sumatrana. I'm interested to learn how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do. Maybe it'll do something interesting and if nothing else maybe it'll be worth having to make seed with someday when he or she grows up.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Awesome looking setup. I'm new to the blogging world so this is the first I'm seeing your stuff. Excited to see more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich! Thanks for stopping by it to check it out.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking tank! I read back on your posts and saw that you lost some Nepenthes, so it's good to see you're rebuilding your collection! I'm especially excited to see how that "orange blush" Bical looks as it grows up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a combination of being away and everything going wrong at once unfortunately. I'm interested to see how or if that bical clone colors up too. Thanks for stopping by, will have some nicer pictures of the tank and everything in it at some point here.

      Delete
  4. That setup looks very cool and those plants very healthy. If I were you I would foil the sides so more light would get into plants direction ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The lights are almost too much for some of the lowlanders that like a bit of shade, but they are adjusting, otherwise I'd totally foil it. It's also in the dining room area of my house, so I need to think of something that looks nice at this point, as it's in a fairly visible area. I had some wood lattice and a fishtank background in there the last time, and it looked ok, but I'm trying to think of something that would look a little better. Maybe get some live sphagnum and do something with that too.

      Delete
  5. Hi :-)

    Nice seeing your Nepenthes danseri doing well there. Some years ago I did a flora-fauna survey in Waigeo Island, where this endemic species come from. The grow in a very harsh ultra-basic soil condition called "serpentine" soil. Please see some of their picture if you have time. here the link:

    https://plantaria.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/breakfast-at-serpentines/

    salam,
    duan

    ReplyDelete