Saturday, July 28, 2012

Doritaenopsis Kenneth Schubert

Doritaenopsis Kenneth Schubert is a primary hybrid between Doritaenopsis pulcherrima and Phalaenopsis violacea, registered back in 1963, (Hybrid Details.) It's a good one, I can see why it's still popular today. This one blooms 1 or 2 times for me every year since I've had it, without fail. It also smells very nice, light and perfume-y.

Last year I got two spikes with one of it's flowerings, which made for a really spectacular display from such a small orchid. I searched for a while to find more pictures, but all I could find were these dramatic ones my husband (then fiance) took. He likes to stage and light things where I prefer a more natural photo.



Drama!

This year it's blooming in the summer, just one spike but always pretty. Below are my pictures. I just wanted to take a few in case the older flowers started fading before the rest of the buds opened. Depending on the time of year this one blooms changes the saturation of the color and the strength of the scent of the flowers. That happens with a lot of orchids though, temperature and sunlight definitely effects the flower's appearance. This years summer blooming created much softer colored flowers than when it usually blooms in spring or fall, but they smell much stronger. I have it in my kitchen window over the sink and I can smell them every time I go to do dishes, (which is awesome). It's not overpowering but enough to scent that part of the room.










8 comments:

  1. Beautiful orchid!! Looks like a butterfly or some sort of insect flying with it's wings all set back hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Doritaenopsis/Phalaenopsis have some underrated flowers. I always thought it looked like an insect or a bird too!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful flowers, and the colours are great, and what an added bonus with the perfume. It does look like an insect or bird, I was thinking maybe a hummingbird. Great photos too! Washing the dishes is under-rated, and you are lucky to have these flowers make it more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hate washing dishes and there's no (machine) dishwasher in this apartment, so at least I've got something to make it better, lol!

      Delete
  3. I really like the 'dramatic' photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll let him know. He's actually starting to get really good at them. I'll have some pictures up of a NOID mini Phalaenopsis up soon that he took because I didn't get a chance to. Maybe I'll just have him take pics anyway, nice to have 2 people's perspective.

      Delete
  4. Very nice blue and rounded lip. In my latitude often bloom in summer (August) in fact now I return to take up, at first the color is very intense after a few weeks tends to lighten the color...Funny how the smell I do not perceive it!

    Greetings from Madrid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I guess this one really isn't picky about temperature to induce blooming like other Phalaenopsis. No smell on yours? Sometimes I have to put my nose right to it to spell the fragrance, but this year it's stronger than usual.

      Delete